Recipe: Nora Gegaudas’ Nut Ball Snackers
- One regular-sized jar of almond butter (or any other nut butter, other than peanut and cashew butter, that you prefer). Stir surface oil in well!
- 5-10 oz (an approximation) of organic nuts: (almonds, pecans, macadamias, brazil nuts, pistachios…etc, preferably pre-soaked and dried). Use a food processor to grind or chop to desired consistency/”chunkiness”.
- Handful of organic sesame and/or chia seeds (great source of mucilaginous fiber to help “keep that train rolling”)
- Organic shredded coconut (as much or as little as you like)
- Alcohol-free (glycerin-based) vanilla extract, or powdered/crushed vanilla beans
- One full brick (room temperature) of Kerrygold butter (decidedly a “key” ingredient)
- Organic coconut flour (Bob’s Red Mill makes a good one) – add for additional yummy coconut flavor and/or better binding
- Organic coconut butter (you have to taste this stuff to believe it!)
- Stevia (for added sweetness, if needed or desired)
- Bee pollen (why not? Good source of flavonoids)
- Organic cacao nibs (Dagoba has quality ones) – adds chocolaty flavor without adding sugar. Also, cacao nibs have roughly 2X the antioxidant content of green tea!
- Whatever floats your boat (and happens to be low carb)
Nora Gedgaudas, CNS, CNT is the author of Primal Body, Primal Mind. You can find her at her website, PrimalBody-PrimalMind.com. This article originally appeared in the Spring 2010 edition of The Nutritional Therapist.