Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts Gratin with Pine Nut & Breadcrumb Topping
FROM THE KITCHEN OF CINDY KRZNARICH, NTPCoordinated by: LeiLani Paki, NTP Humble cauliflower and Brussels sprouts become luxurious in this decadent gratin.
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered lengthwise through core
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into small florets
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup dry breadcrumbs from high-quality bread*
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley
- 3 cups grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Boil Brussels sprouts in a large pot of salted water for 2 minutes. Add cauliflower to the same pot and cook 3 minutes longer. Drain water, then refill with cold water and ice until vegetables are cool. Drain well again.
- Combine cream, shallots, and sage in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture is reduced to 1 ½ cups, about 10 minutes. Season with salt. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and stir until they start to brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Stir in pine nuts and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange half of the vegetables in a buttered 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then 1 ½ cups Parmesan cheese. Arrange remaining vegetables evenly over, and then sprinkle with remaining Parmesan Cheese. Pour cream mixture evenly over the top.
- Cover baking dish with parchment paper. Bake, covered, at 375F for 40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle on bread crumb topping. Bake uncovered 15 minutes longer.