Chicken Liver Pâté – Superfood Recipe
Submitted by a student in our 2014 Virginia Class.
3 Tbs grass-fed butter
¼ cup tart apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
2-3 shallots, thinly sliced
½ tsp freshly grated lemon zest
8 oz. raw chicken livers, well-trimmed
3 Tbs brandy
1 Tbs fresh thyme
1 tsp fresh tarragon
½ cup organic, grass-fed heavy cream
Sea salt and black pepper
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over low heat. Add the apple, shallots, and lemon zest. Sauté everything for about 4 minutes or until the apples and shallots are softened.
- Add the livers, brandy, thyme, and tarragon and increase the heat to medium. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until all the liquid is evaporated and the livers are not pink inside.
- Transfer to the bowl of a food processor, fitted with a metal blade. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of the softened butter and process until smooth. Transfer to a separate bowl.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form in a bowl of the electric mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment set on medium speed. Season with salt and pepper. Raise the speed to high and beat until the peaks are almost firm but not stiff
- Fold the whipped cream into the livers until well incorporated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 min. before serving. Enjoy on fresh sourdough bread, or sliced vegetables.